Here are some of the responses I’ve come across when telling people I have Depression.
2. “Oh, you’re probably just overworked. Have you thought about going on a nice little holiday?”
Bitch, you can’t go on holiday from yourself. Wherever I go, I am still gonna be me!
3. “You should just sit on a rock at sunrise whilst doing yoga and eating these chinese herbs, then you’ll never be sad again”
Yes, thank you. I’ll try that never.
4. “Oh my god!!! WHY do you wanna die??!!! Are you still alive? Are you dead already??? I am sooo worried about you!! WHY WHY WHY???!!!”
5. “Have you considered a nice dose of man-the-fuck-up?”
6. “Have you tried visualising your inner child and tapping into your higher power to access the goddess of the universe so you can stimulate the esoteric nature of All That Is?”
7. “Oh, I know exactly how you feel. I was also sad that one time”
Saying you’ve experienced Depression because you’ve been sad once is like saying you know how a double amputee feels because you once had a broken pinkie.
8. “Here, read this bible/inspirational quote. I guarantee you’ll feel sooo much better”
Thank you for nothing.
Disclaimer – Often times people genuinely don’t know how to respond. My advice would be to tell loved ones exactly how you want to be treated whilst you’re suffering from Depression and how they can help in your recovery.